Friendly Visiting is a program that matches Parry Sound District seniors with volunteers for regular at-home visits or planned outings.
Why Join This Program?
For West Parry Sound District seniors, friendly visiting maintains your connection to the community, facilitates your access to social services, provides educational and social opportunities. For volunteers, Friendly Visiting offers the opportunity to cultivate lasting friendships, to learn from a senior’s life experiences and to benefit from the personal satisfaction derived from being a volunteer.
Friendly Visiting leads to the creation of meaningful relationships between the seniors and the volunteers, which will promote inter-generational understanding. Friendly Visiting connects you to your community, expands your horizons and provides a variety in your routine.
Benefits for Seniors
- Mental and physical stimulation which can improve physical, cognitive and emotional health
- New experiences and activities to look forward to
- Contributing to the Parry Sound District community by sharing wisdom, knowledge, talents and stories.
Friendly Visiting Activities
- Coffee or lunch outings
People of all ages: youth, adults, young seniors, elders and frail elderly. Everyone can benefit from volunteering. Volunteers also gain new friendships and the opportunity to develop new interests. With active volunteer experience volunteers shine with increased self-esteem as they see the ways in which they make a positive difference and impact people lives.
Benefits for Volunteers
- Rewarding relationships
- An opportunity to practice skills and develop interpersonal communication like listening, expressing compassion and empathy
- Experiences new activities and interests
- Life purpose
- Explore and learn culture and history
- Increased sensitivity to the needs of seniors and a better attitude towards aging
There is no cost for transportation for our friendly visiting program. However, clients and volunteers are responsible for associated costs such as: lunch, coffee, and other associated fees.